Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Center of Attention


 

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Gal 2:20
 

From the time I was able to stand, I have striven to be the center of attention. Seldom was this cute; mostly obnoxious.  I look back and see now that this was a big reason that I had few friends growing up.  No one likes to be around someone that has to be “on” all the time.

From the perspective of the person in the spotlight, I can tell you that it is exhausting. When you’re ‘on’ all the time in front of people, you show only what you want them to see and be impressed by.  No one ever really gets to know you because that mentality is really born of insecurity.  I wanted so badly for people to accept and like me, but deep inside I knew that if they knew the real me, they would reject me.  Since I had been constantly rejected by a sibling, I was sure that anyone who really knew me, would tell everyone how un-lovely I was and how unworthy of being liked I was. 

It took many years and many failures to finally surrender all of me to God and to let him rebuild my warped sense of self into seeing me how He sees me.  Over 40 now, I know that my worth and value do not come from other people, but from my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  He likes me.  He loves me.  He accepts me.  
 
I no longer need to be the center of attention and I realize that each day that I make Him the center of attention, I’m off the hook.  He is worthy of being the center of attention; all the time, everywhere, every situation.  That’s what worship is.  It is acknowledging Him as the “CENTER OF ATTENTION” in all things.  

I praise Him for the revelation that when I make Him the center of my focus, those around me can get to know the real me and whether they accept or like me is up to Him and I can live with that!

 Jesus living in me is likable, lovable and fun!  Thank you Lord, I’m happy to give up the spotlight!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment