Saturday, July 27, 2013

He Didn't Even Know...

 

Righteousness guards the man of integrity, but wickedness overthrows the sinner. Proverbs 13:6
 
 
As I read in the book of Judges about Samson, I'm drawn to the passage in the story about Delilah nagging him until he finally gave her the secret which would lead to his downfall. But, the line which reveals the true tragedy is this,
 
 
                "But he did not know that the Lord had left him." Judges 16:20b
 
That small sentence speaks volumes about where his heart was. He was 'set apart' from birth as a Nazirite and although from the story we get a picture of a very selfish and ungodly man, he knew he was to be 'God's' from his earliest childhood. How entrenched in this unhealthy relationship was he that he didn't even notice the Spirit of the living God had left him? What I glean from this is when I treat the great privilege of His presence with contempt or somehow treat the holy as commonplace, then my carnal nature will take over and my spiritual sensitivity will become calloused to the point that I won't notice when His Spirit is no longer leading me. By His word and promise, I am assured that He will never leave me, but I can still quench the Holy Spirit in my life to the point that His presence is no longer what defines my behavior. What a terrifying place to find myself. Oh, Lord, may it never be.

For Nazirite, see Judges 13.


No comments:

Post a Comment