Saturday, July 20, 2013

Powerful Words

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart by acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Ps 19:14

  
In 2 Samuel and 1 Chronicles, there is a story about King David. He and his men were in a stronghold while fighting the Philistines for control of Jerusalem. He made the comment "Oh, that someone would get me a drink of water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem" (1 Chr 11:17) Now, as we know, David was born in Bethlehem and his comment was probably more of a longing for something other than water. But, upon hearing the king's wishful statement, three brave and loyal men broke through the enemy lines and fetched that water. When they brought their hard-won prize back to David, he poured it "out before the Lord". Here's where I've often been confused. Why, after all that, did David pour the water out instead of being extremely grateful to the obviously loyal men by drinking it? I read it again and I believe this was a teaching moment from God for our young king. When these men brought him the water, he was completely aware that they had actually risked their lives for something he mentioned 'off the cuff'. It says he poured it out before the Lord and said, "Far be it from me, O Lord, to do this! Is it not the blood of men who went at the risk of their lives?" I believe he came to the realization that his words carried this much weight and he needed to be careful with them. I, too, need to remember that my words have power and to be thoughtful and prudent in what I say to those over whom I have influence.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment