Sunday, July 21, 2013

Thorns & Silver

To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh... 2 Cor 12:7
 
During a time with my small group, we talked of thorns and what to do when we bear a thorn in this life. Whether they be relationships, physical impairments or illness, we bear thorns in this life which serve His purpose to glorify Himself in us.  As I studied and talked with the Lord, He revealed to me several things which could be 'thorns' in my life. I jokingly said to Him, "Wow! I'm a veritable rosebush!" The Spirit seemed to respond, "Yes, you are and look what beauty grows out of thorny stems." That brought to mind my favorite rose; the sterling rose which has no thorns but produces in bloom the palest lavender, almost silver petals, thus the name. Thinking of the word 'sterling' turned my mind to silver and the Word which says,
 
             'He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; He will purify... Mal 3:2b'
and
             'I will refine them like silver. Zech 13:9'
 
While no thorn is pleasant, I am assured that He is using it for my good and that He will accomplish what He has begun.
 
So, for the time of my thorns, I may be a common type rose, but some day  God will have refined me and I shall be as a sterling rose with beauty born out of the thorns but thorn-less at last! 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment