Sunday, December 8, 2013

I Am....Not

I Am...not

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ' I AM has sent me to you'." Exodus 3:14
 
 
Reading in the four gospel accounts of Jesus' arrest, fake trial and Peter's denial, something struck me. All four talk of Jesus saying, "I am" in the garden when asked if He was Jesus. When asked by the high priest if He was the Christ, He said again, "I am".  In each account of Peter's denial something is just stands out in John's narrative (John 18). When asked by the girl if he was one of His disciples, Peter replied, "I am not". Then, again he was asked the same question and his response, " I am not".
 
As Jesus was about to receive the punishment for all our sins, He stood in our midst and declared, "I AM"
 
For anyone listening, especially those around the temple courts, they knew exactly what He was saying. He was claiming- 
 
I AM GOD, AND BESIDE ME IS NO OTHER 
I AM THAT I AM. 
I AM THE CHRIST OF GOD.
 
While Peter's response was one of denial of association and discipleship, it is a reminder to me as I submit to Him, the I AM daily, that I am not. He is and beside Him is no other. He is the same today and forever. He is and I am not. He is my everything and He is all I need.
 
" I am not, but I know I AM" Louie Giglio
 
 
 
 
                                             


No comments:

Post a Comment